Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I'm going to be rich!


Yard sale-ing is an art. Just like anything there are rules that a yard sale must play by to remain in our universe. I noticed a phenomenon this last Saturday.

I noticed that people beget people at yard sales.

When people go duck hunting (Riley this is for you) they usually have decoys to lure more ducks in to the pond, therefore a better chance of scoring some duck meat. The same is true with yard sales. When you have one car parked out in front and one or two digging through your stuff, they can't help but stop and dig too. However if no one is there, it's harder just getting someone to stop.

So I'm going to produce some "yard sale decoys". Picture this: plastic man and woman, kneeling or standing, wearing a fishing hat, and packing a plastic Ziploc bag with pretend cash in it. You can order them wearing different outfits, and some can come with a recording that says, "Would you take $3 for this?" Maybe I'll even do some kid like ones to dig through the toys, what kid can resist that? not a one. My yard sale went okay last week, but with these I'll make a fortune!

Patent pending.


16 Comments:

Sarah said...

I love your yard sale tactics. Maybe you could write a "how-to" book. Every time I see manaquins now I think of the movie "I am Legend". I think it helps when the weather is nice also. Last Saturday was freezing cold. Next time you want some real decoys let me know. I'm sure Kendle would be happy to help me dig through your stuff.

Jan said...

This reminds me of so many fond memories. Once to get attention while cruising the streets of Moses Lake, My girlfriends and I hooked duck decoys all over our little gray truck. Oh my. The boys did flock our way. It was fun. Those days are over now, but man that was my kind of hunting them down. ;-)

Jan said...

Way to lure them in Nan.

PRP said...

You crack me up! Let me know how it all works out...

Nancie said...

jan- why were you "cruisin'" in Moses lake?

Closed for Business said...

Cuz Royal doesn't have much to cruise in. Both of these decoy plots are hilarious. But seriously you should write a yard sale how to book. Planning a yardsale on a payday helps too.

tharker said...

Now THAT is hilarious! You really would be a millionaire!

hatch said...

I cannot wait to see the finished project!

Alicia Leppert said...

I thought the exact same thing, Sarah. I Am Legend. You can even name them too. Mannequins freak me out.

Marilyn said...

you are hilarious.

Riley said...

Duck Hunting Rocks!!!

Amy said...

Every time I am 'blog stalking' and you talk about yard sales or shopping in Spokane it makes me jealous! I love thrift/junk store shopping, but haven't learned the art of yard sales. You should write a book! I also love your Farm Chicks link, I found out who they were last year when they didnt have any shows, and this year, its the same weekend as our trip to the Oregon Coast. I'm so disappointed!

Jan said...

Nancy-call Ed. He has a question for ya.

Tanya said...

LOL! That is so funny. I'd pay to see that!

libbie said...

You are hilarious. Hey, Call me ASAP. I don't have your cell number anymore. My old phone died and I can't get to my contacts. Its really important. About Brett and Bekie.

Lisa Christine said...

This comment has nothing to do about yard sales..something that I like to do, but Lisa isn't really down. I see you have mycokerewards on your sidebar. The guy that fills our vending machines at work told me that he has over 15,500 points. Every box he opens up he keeps the number. Crazy huh?

~The Donald