Monday, June 11, 2007

Rummage Sale, Tag Sale, Garage Sale, Yard Sale...


Yard Sale season, my second favorite time of the year (just behind fall, football games, and sweaters). Every Friday, and Saturday I've always got my eyes peeled for a good old neon construction paper sign on the side of the road. Some people get fancy and add balloons, some just throw their garbage out in the trash or set it in front of their house. I am so not afraid to knock on a door and ask "how much do you want for that?" I love the feeling I get when I see something I know I can sand and paint and give new life to. So in honor of the season, I'd thought I'd give some yard sale tips:

1. If there is no price tag, always ask "how much do you want for that" You might end up offering too much if you say "how bout $____ for that".

2. Try to hit early in the morning. But then also come back around when people are finishing up, they are more likely to go down on price, or give it away.

3. Don't get all dressed up to yard sale, wrong impression.

4. Tools are big sellers, always dig thru those, or ask what something is if you don't know. You might end up with a expensive pump your dad always wanted.

5. If you are doing a yard sale, don't bother pricing every little thing, group things according to price.

6. If you don't have a price on something, and someone wants to buy it, say "how much would you give for that?"- you never know, they might pay a ton more than you would have priced it. And you can always go up if they offer too little.

7. If you have a bunch of toys (mcdonalds, or junk like that) put 4 or 5 of them in plastic ziplock bags and put $1 on them. People will see one item they want and end up buying the bag. -gets rid of crap a lot faster.

8. ALWAYS put your furniture out where traffic can see it. This attracts people! Little secret: sometimes I'll put a piece of furniture out in the yard sale and put a sign on it that says sold. People will stop to buy it, then find out its already sold. They'll end up staying and digging thru the other stuff. Ha Ha, evil I know.

9. Talk to your customers as they are looking, flattery always works. I recently sold a weight set for Sarah, and these young guys were browsing, I asked "you guys are buff- do you work out?" Of course they said "uh...yeah a little" (yeah right) I then told them about my awesome weight set and how they would pick up all kinds of chicks after working out on it. They couldn't get their wallets out fast enough. Cha ching.

10. Location, location, location.

Whether you are out to make money, or get rid of junk just remember: If you build it they will come, and call me, I'll be there.

13 Comments:

hatch said...

I feel like we have not talked in forever. I miss you! You are definately the girl to give yard sale tips. You are the best at it and so much fun to go with. I think we need to take another trip to Hermiston again I am in need of some fun bargins and lunch at El Cazador!

natallie said...

i really like to go yard-selling too! another tip is to take small bills. it's a little tacky to talk somebody down on a price and then ask if they have change for a hundred(i seldom have that problem myself) you definitely have to be the early bird around here if you want to get the good stuff before it's picked over by 8:30. i love when i buy stuff for cheap and brian calls it junk...after i fix it up then i get to hear him eat his words and tell me that he really likes it! "one man's junk...."

tharker said...

I never go yard selling, because my husband works super early and I don't feel like carting 3 kidlets around that early. I do like to go when I get the chance though. Maybe when my kids are a few years older and babysit themselves, I can put your excellent tips to good use. You're a yard selling genius!

Kris said...

Nan, you are awesome. I love all of these tips. I could just see you out telling those young guys how awesome they'd be if they had that weight set. Man I should've had you come help me with mine. I didn't do that great. You've got some good tips. Next time your out, I wanna come with you! This was a great post with a lot of good info.

Natallie, I hate it when people ask if they can buy something for $3, and then give me a $20. I just wanna keep the change! :)

The Garden Maiden said...

Nan, Nan, Nan. You are such a good blogger! I could totally hear you as I read this and could imagine the expressions on your face as you "sold" those guys on their buff-ness and picking up chicks. They had to buy it or they would have not been "REAL" men. They couldn't not buy it when a pretty girl told them it would help them. I totally wish I had your skills and fearlessness (is that a word?)

Heather said...

I love yardsaling...but I have too much already!

Tallia said...

Nancy, you should sponsor a yard-sale-party and we can all go together and get some lunch after...like Kim was talking about :-)

meohmyers said...

Great advice! But answer me this. How do you tell the Ukranians (no offense) that clothes priced at 50 cents is already a steal? Why do they always try to bargain and ask to pay 10 cents for a perfectly good coat?!?! I can't stand it! I flat out told them no way!! I took my stuff back and didn't make the sale instead of "giving away" my junk for dirt cheap!

dandee said...

Nan, that idea about putting a piece of your furiture out to entice yard sale enthusiasts is brilliant! Sheer genious! Great tips! So, does Friday work for you?

Marilyn said...

Nan you are awesome. I need to have a yard sale. soon. call me.

libbie said...

Nan! I am so glad I have found your blog! And behold . . . . A yard sale Blog! You are toooooo funny! We just had a huge yard sale at Mamie's! I was shocked I didn't see you there! I never go yard selling, but I should. I would save a lot of money, I'm sure. So we should really get together sometime and catch up. Maybe next time Tio and Tia are in town we should have a BBQ! yeah . . . . thats sounds really really good! I need to see your baby, and your addition on your house still . . . . I know, I should just come over and see it already! My life has been crazy, but its getting better! Okay, we need to chat soon! Peace . . . Out

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Anonymous said...

t's such a tickety-boo site. imaginary, quite interesting!!!

-------

[url=http://oponymozgowe.pl]Opony[/url]
[url=http://pozycjonowanie.lagata.pl]Pozycjonowanie[/url]

[url=http://smartdir.pl/zdrowie-i-uroda/opony,s_347/]opony[/url]