Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel.

I'm a dreamer.
Not in the future sense, but in the sleep sense. I sleep way too lightly and I can usually remember close to all my dream each night that I do. Mitch hates it when I wake up and tell him what happened in my dreams.

"Mitch, wanna hear about my dream last night?"
"Nope."
"K, so we were in 7th grade art class, and you were there, and you were making out with this girl. And she was like laughing at me and pointing."
"Nan, it wasn't real."
"But I was sooo mad at you."
"Nan, it wasn't real."
"And you were laughing too."
"Nan, it wasn't real."
"And I stormed out of the room, but you didn't follow."

My mom used to tell us that our dreams probably are affirmations of our feelings. For example, if you were being drowned and your friend was doing it, that probably means that you have some pent up frustration with them. Or if my dad left me on purpose at a truck stop, it means that I'm not getting enough dad time and need to hear I love you from him. But not all my dreams are jealous rages. I have some plain out CRAZY ones. Like when I gave birth to a red bouncy ball, or when I fall down a well (who has open wells any more anyway).

Sometimes you might be the one who dreams and acts. My sister gets up in the night and lives her dreams physically. She will literally get up and clean her room (push everything in the closet) because her friends are there and she doesn't want them to see her underwear on the floor-but it's the middle of the night and NO one is really there.

"Mitch wanna hear my dream last night?"
"Nope."
"It was so mean of you. We were on the golf course, and you were running away from me and hiding behind all the trees"
"(sigh) Nan, it isn't real"
"...and you were riding my favorite horse and even he was whooping and hollering 'ha ha, mitch is riding me'"
"Nan, you need help."
"(Almost crying) Mitch just say you love me."
in his grizzly barg voice, "Nan, I love you and I'll pay more attention to you."

Thats exactly what I needed to hear.


How do you dream?

13 Comments:

hatch said...

Nan you crack me up! I have some crazy dreams too, and for some strange reason I cannot think of any right now.

Alicia Leppert said...

Nan, your blog is fast becoming my favorite. This is exactly why I kept telling you to start one--you have lived up to all my expectations. This post was hilarious. LOVED the exchanges between you and Mitch. I have the most crazy, vivid dreams too, often ones where everyone I love has ganged up on me and I am screaming helplessly at them. Who needs help? Yeah, that would be me.

Mitchellaus Copernicus said...

Unfortunately, her exchanges are accurate.

Sarah said...

Nan- I used to have the worst dreams. I think they were stress dreams, but they were horrible nightmares where I would literally wake up kicking at something I thought was about to attack me. Also clowns freak me out like none-other and I've had clown dreams for years (thank you Stephen King).

Nancie said...

mitch hates clowns too, and for the exact same reason.

Marilyn said...

Nancie, I think you are the new C Jane! You are a great story teller. So funny!

Kris said...

I could hear Mitch's voice saying "Nope." This was funny! I have a lot of crazy dreams. Some about my boyfriend in high school and others that are so random. This was a good post!

dandee said...

Nan you're hilarious! I was hearing you and Mitch the entire time I was reading this!

I have dreams about Michael Buble. Sad, but true. Don't worry, usually I'm not married in my dreams...usually.

tharker said...

I always have strange dreams. Most of them seem to be back in high school. I don't know why. They're the standard, I forget my locker combination and am in a complete panic, I don't understand math anymore, and then sometimes they are even about old high school crushes. Weird.

Your dream conversations with Mitch sound exactly like mine with Spencer. Every time I tell him about a dream, it verifies his assumption that his wife is nuts!

The Garden Maiden said...

Ditto on all the above. I could just hear you and mitch, voice inflections and all. I love your blog.

The Garden Maiden said...

Don't dream anymore. Probably because of my drug induced sleep.

Heather said...

I'm with Tami, I hardly ever remember my dreams. BUt it was fun hearing about yours!

Tallia said...

Hmm...I had a few dreams I could remember last week, probably because I wasn't sleeping very well those nights. But, of course, I can't remember them now. How exciting is that?!