Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Satan is fighting...


Yesterday I made my daily bank run. I happened to cash a small check for $57.00 or so. The bank teller gave me the cash and my debit card back inside a white envelope. Trying to hurry I sped out of the parking lot to my next errand- not looking inside the envelope. About 3 hours later I was driving again doing more errands (I hate errands), when I finally checked the money. The teller had put $77.00 mistakenly in the envelope. I knew right away, I should drive back to the bank and return it. But in the short drive there, I debated with temptation if the bank really missed it at all.
My greyhound workers make small mistakes all the time and I just eat it.
Maybe she already chalked it up to "lost."
I could run to Old Navy and get a cute sweater...
I could use that 20 bucks for paying my water bill.
Maybe it was a gift?
What's 20 bucks to a huge bank-nothing right?
Man I really could use a Bruchi's pepper steak sandwich!
When I finally arrived back at the bank the weight had been lifted off my shoulders, that quick. I gave the money back and explained the problem. The teller didn't even thank me for my honesty (nice). But I KNOW I'll be blessed more than $20 bucks for doing that small feat.

Nan-1 Satan-0

14 Comments:

Lisa Christine said...

Yay Nan!

Funny, that this happened to you because our family home evening on Monday was on honesty and we told a story almost exactly like this to the children. Thanks for sharing....glad satan got a whopping 0 points!!!!

Marilyn said...

Good for you Nan! In my experience, whenever the bank makes a mistake, it's usually in their favor, so they probably aren't used to saying thank you.

But you're right, you WILL be blessed for choosing the right.

Sarah said...

Way to go Super Nan! Just think about how many other people would NOT have taken it back. Little temptations like that have a way of sneaking in our lives when we least expect it.

Katie said...

Satan Reeks big time. Good job.

Hey, when you coming down here? I miss you, dude.

dandee said...

You are a good example. I hope your children were with you!

The Yancey Family said...

You are a strong one! I probably would've done the exact same thing. I always tell Brett that I have a little devil inside me that I have to battle all day ong, thankfully I win alot more often than I used to!

natallie said...

isn't it funny how you bring the mistake to their attention and they almost seem offended rather than touched?

Anonymous said...

You make your Mama proud!

linda said...

always gotta be the miss goody two-shoes don't ya! nice job. :)

Katie said...

Bravo! Nan that was so awesome what you did. You are right-- it's the little things that add up and I'm sure God is keeping track. It's so exciting to hear any victory over Satan. Thanks for the encouragement.
ps. I had so much fun visiting today. It was so refreshing to hang out and have real girl time. You are a blessing to me and wonderful person. Thanks!

Daniela Anderson said...

Nancie I'm glad that you did the right thing.
I don't know if you remember me but we stayed at your house for kevin's wedding.
Anyways I finally got my blog I love to be one of your blogger friends.
take Care.
Danielaanderson.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Hey, I tagged you on my blog. :)

The Garden Maiden said...

You are my hero (well one of them.)

Anonymous said...

Hello Nan,

I found you blog through Katie Hochhalters Blog... My co-worker/ friend & I (ironically her name is Katie Hochhalter too, found Katie’s blog when she goggled her name) Any-who... your blogs are so much fun to read! Katie & I are both bankers and wanted to say THANK YOU for taking the money back... although it’s a small hit on the bank and our balancing record we greatly appreciate you honesty! It’s too bad the teller didn’t tell you thank you!  Have a good day!

Laura Roberts
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho