Friday, February 20, 2009

Water DAMage

Sooooooo.....
Mitch and his mom have taken on a new business. A Wholesale Nursery, it has been a total blessing and Mitch has found he is really pretty good at it already. But this last month we tried "too hard" to please a customer he used my front living room as a greenhouse. He lugged some plants/shrubs and a heavy duty tarp into the room. The purpose: to get them to bud out before the home show this weekend. About 2 weeks later they lugged em back out and delivered them to the landscaper. He was pleased they budded out and looked fine for the show, but my carpet didn't fare so well.
The tarp leaked all over and water sat in my carpet and pad for 2 weeks. Now my whole house stinks like wet dirt and mildew.
Yup, so this morning i went down to good ole Pasco Rents and rented a heavy duty carpet cleaner, and Dehumidifier. I pulled trim off the walls, and pulled back my carpet. I then shoved as many plastic garbage cans under the wet carpet (which is mega heavy) by kicking them with my feet, and I have two box fans going as fast as they can to circulate some air between carpet and pad. Hopefully i can dry it all out and the smell will go away. Uh, I hope.
I'm sure my nosy neighbors were thinking "what the heck is that 7 months pregnant girl doing scooting under her carpet in her living room?" (They could see right into my living room, 'cause my door is wide open-the stench! but its only 45 degrees out.)
So pray that this works, and if you feel like coming over and checking out our refrigerator of a house, and stinky one at that. Please do. Nothing like mildew to open the sinuses.

Pictures to come later

12 Comments:

natallie said...

oh nan, bless your heart! (and health :)

Sarah said...

It's never boring around your place is it? Umm, I have a little fan if you want to borrow it.

Katie said...

Seriously? Bummer, dude. Too bad Dan doesn't work at Tates anymore. We could have got you a sweet deal on carpet fans.

Good luck.

Jill Baird said...

Nan, this isn't the first time your living room has been a greenhouse ;) he he... Congrats on the new business adventure!

The Yancey Family said...

Nan! That sucks! I can just picture you doing all that at 7 months pregnant and the nurse in me wants to scold you! Be careful!

Mitchellaus Copernicus said...

Ummm Jill? Were you guys potheads in college?!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jodi said...

Thast sucks Nancie! I hope the smell is going away. My parents house FLOODED this winter and boy did it smell for awhile. But it did get better (there's hope).

~*~*HEIDI*~*~ said...

I would take the stench and cold just to come visit you guys. I am so jelous Luke got to come over with out me. Miss you!

libbie said...

BUMMER. For some odd reason, it doesn't surprise me that you were hard at work fixing the mess with your 7 month pregnant belly! Take it easy girlfriend!

Kris said...

I still can't believe you managed to do all of that by yourself. I love how you are a do-it-yourselfer! Is that a word?? Hope the smell is gone by now!

1-800-DRY-ME-OUT said...

Just make sure you get it dry. If not mold can start to colonize within 48-72 hrs after any type of water damage. And you do not want that in your house. Best of Luck!