Wednesday, May 30, 2007

GGRRRRRR telemarketers


Okay, so Im chillin' for the evening. I just got the baby to bed and Cam in the bath, when the phone rings. I pick it up (we just got rid of caller ID), this lady begins by asking tons of questions about truck stops, travel centers, and gas stations. I'm okay, I'll listen and answer questions for a minute or two- only because i've never had this kind of a call and not get something sold to me, and because I love to throw my conservative opinion in and mess up some liberal poll. But seriously after 10 minutes (I know I'm a sucker), I ask the lady with a southern accent how much longer she has for me. She says "short time left". Meanwhile Mitch came in turned the TV on LOUD and Cam is out of the bath, without washing his hair. I'm starting to stress out and in an instant I just hang up on this chick. FOURTEEN minutes! She had me for fourteen minutes. Really, who wants to rate gas stations for that long. Gimme a break.


ps- a guy showed up here tonight wanting me to put a "security system" sign in my yard. "you won't have to buy anything." Good Grief!

7 Comments:

Kris said...

Gotta love having those annoying people call and stop by. I hate when I give them so much of my time. Thanks for the warning. Now when someone calls and wants to ask about gas stations I'll know to hang up on them!

The Garden Maiden said...

I know they are only trying to make a living, buuuttt, I have no patience for them either. You were gracious to give them 14 minutes Nan. We all know you are the queen of patience because you live with Argue Man!

What was it with the security signs guy? I was VT down the street when they showed up there. So they case out all the places that don't have a REAL security system by getting you to put up a phony sign, then the burglars know who to hit by the signs (just my theory - yes I am one of those conspiracy theorist people). Sounds fishy to me.

Marilyn said...

That is crazy. Why would you put a sign in your yard for a product you don't own. Weird.

Nan, I've said it before, I will say it again. You are a saint!

Heather said...

Tami your theory totally makes sense to me.

hatch said...

Tami-I have the same theory about the whole security sign. That makes so much sense.
Nan- That stuff drives me crazy, I do not like telemarketers, or any door to door salesman.

Sarah said...

Now that we live in a populated neighborhood, we can't get rid of the random people stopping by to sell something. I seriously want to get a NO SOLICITING sign for my front door. Especially when it's the same people over and over again. (hello, the guys who sell the meat out of the back of their truck)

Alicia Leppert said...

Okay, I am shaking a little bit because I cannot tell you how strongly I feel about telemarketers and/or salespeople in general. (See my Biggest Pet Peeves post.) I HATE THEM to the depths of my very soul. The best purchase I ever made in my life was my NO SOLICITING sign. Sure, I get made fun of A LOT by visiters to our house, but I just smile and ask how many soliciters they've had at their house lately. Me? NADA. Oh, except for the IDIOTS who still show up and either pretend they can't read or just ignore it. I wanna punch them in the face!! I think the telemarketers have spread the word to each other not to call my house for fear of the wrath that will come upon them, because I don't get them anymore. Sorry this was a really long comment.