Friday, June 19, 2009

My Civic Duty

I'm going to cut to the chase...

I do NOT want Planned Parenthood in my neighborhood, and 60 feet away from my children's elementary school.

This was the issue last night at the city hall planning committee meeting. Kim and I went to support those against it. But I didn't realize it was going to be such a HOT issue.

Please hop over to KIMS blog to read all about it.

However I did something I thought I'd NEVER do and that is raise my hand and voice my opinion. I walked calmly up to the podium (Brady in my arms), state my name and address for the record, and with my voice quivering told everyone how I felt. For me that was the scariest thing I've done EVER. Scarier than getting on my 2 year old unbroke arabian horse for the first time. Scarrier than bearing your testimony in stake conference. Scarrier than having an emergency c-section. I kept to the point: that my children attend the elementary school and I was already worried about the saftey of them walking across Court street, and I didn't want the added danger of a conterversial business being right next door. I also said there are plenty of buildings in Pasco to utilize and they didn't need to be in the one next to this school and my neighborhood. I urged the council to vote against the permit and said thank you and sat down.

Mom you would've been proud.

Afterward I felt so empowered! I was on a high, I wanted to go fight some more fights, run a million miles, or scream from the top of my lungs! Kim and I settled for a diet Dr. Pepper at my house venting to Mitch. It was a great night.
As for the permit. We won't know for another month. I'll keep you updated. Pray for us, that this horrible "non-profit" business will not win over the hearts of the people who make these important decisions.

12 Comments:

natallie said...

i'm so proud of you nan. way to get involved(you and kim) and not just sit at home and complain about it. it was probably scary cause you felt so strongly about it and alot is at stake. i love that you walked up w/ brady in your arms. writing into the herald's letter to the editor is a good way to express your feelings too. glad you and kim could give each other support! :)

Sarah said...

I wrote on Kim's blog that I'm proud you guys did that. We have to stick up for our kids because no one else will - not the school's, not the city, no one but parents who care could feel so passionately about not wanting a place like that next to their children's school. What is the city of Pasco thinking? Hmmm.....they probably aren't.

hatch said...

You did good Nan! I am just so glad that we went together. It would have been really scary without you.

Katie said...

Lol! Nan, did you almost tear up? I get that way when I get really nervous. I can just hear your voice trembling. Haha, since I've had kids, my public confidence has deteriorated, seriously. Anytime I get called on in church to give an answer or something, Dan asks me if I am pitting out. The answer is yes.

But- enough about me- good job standing up for your kids. Stick it to the man, man!

libbie said...

i'm so fliipin proud i could just kiss you . . . . GOOD JOB. I really hope they are not stupid enough to do that in your neighborhood.

Jan said...

So proud of you Nancy. I watched the whole debate on tv. So impressed you guys. Just had to tell you great job. There is no way they could possibly let it go on.

Planned Pascohood was represented.

Heidi D said...

Hello. I'm Donald's sister and Mitch's cousin Heidi. I thought I'd drop by.

I am glad that you had the guts to go up there and say something.

Why would they even think about putting something like that by a school? You have anything from angry loud picketers to terrorist attacks. Um, yes please. Plunk that down right next to where children learn and play.

Dummies.

Kris said...

Nan, you are awesome in every way. I'm so impressed that you and Kim were able to go to that meeting, and voice your opinion and say what was on your mind. I totally would've loved to see/hear what happened. Thanks for writing this for me. I learned a lot. Do I dare admit, that I didn't even know what Planned Parenthood was before I read yours and Kim's blog??? Oh the things I learn through blogs...!

The Yancey Family said...

Wow! You are my hero right now! I want an update as soon as you hear the verdict!

Kari Dawn said...

Good Job, Nan. You Rock! Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

handmadegiftsarebest said...

Oh, good for you! I hope that place does not go in near your school and am sorry it is coming to Pasco at all.

Bradly is darling. Congratulations. We are in Meridian now. I got your thank you note. Sue sent it to me. Thanks.

Jen said...

Good for you for standing up!