Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Thong, th-, thong, thong, thong...



In the interest of summer, my footwear becomes a very important topic. In the area I live in, my main concern is to stay cool, and the only way I can do that is to wear my favorite shoes: Thongs.


Yeah, I said "thongs". When did it become a foux pas to say the word thong? Was it when people's sexuality became so public? Was it when Sisqo sang a song about thongs-and meant the article of clothing that you wear around your bum, or not so much? When I was a kid, we said the word and never had a second thought.


The dictionary states:

thong –noun
1.a strip of material, esp. of leather or hide, used to fasten or secure something.
2.a strip of leather or hide used for whipping; whiplash.
3.a shoe or slipper fastened to the foot chiefly by a strip of leather or other material passing between the first and second toes and often attaching to another strip of material, as a strap across the instep or around the ankle.
4.a brief garment for the lower body that exposes the buttocks, consisting of a strip of fabric passing between the thighs and attached to a band around the waist.



Ha! see my thongs are still one up on the yuk thong, so that should beat it right? No. I hate how I must be careful when I'm talking and say "flip flops" so other people know I'm not just being crude and talking about nasty underwear (which teen-age girls are flaunting all the time) . Of course I'M just referring to my shoes.


So public, I am now protesting the pop-culture language we all take to be truth, and saying: I will no longer be "politically correct". I am going home to my roots, and proudly wearing my THONGS!

11 Comments:

The Garden Maiden said...

I am so with you Nan! I had a very embarassing moment back when I worked at the FD. I had just gotten back from Hawaii and was talking to some of the firefighters about my trip. I told them all you need when you are in Hawaii was some bananas, aswimsuit, some shorts and a pair of THONGS. They were roaring in laughter. I stood there dumbfounded when someone pulled me aside and said thongs are underwear. I have called them thongs my whole dang life. Now I have to be so careful. Needless to say I was beet red when I discovered what they "thought" I said and exited the room rather quickly.

The Garden Maiden said...

By the way those are some cute "THONGS" on your post.

Kris said...

This is an awesome post. I love all the cute thongs you posted on there! I remember when those used to be called thongs too. But I have gotten used to calling them Flip Flops now though. I have to admit that when people say thong, I usually think that nasty underwear. Now I'll know what you are talking about when you say the word THONG!!!

Katie said...

Amen to that. With the exception of my high school volleyball team, who talks about their thongs (as in underwear) anyway?? No one announces, "hey everyone, check out my new thongs!" unless they're referring to their sweet brown and pink polka-dot flip flops that match their shirt that they bought on sale. I say thongs too. Why should we have to be the ones that are embarassed? Thats what they're called! Good post, Nan.

Marilyn said...

I always cringe when someone says "Thongs" just because I've adapted to the "flip-flop" way of life. Because of the underwear kind of thong, now I can't stand that word!

natallie said...

nancie, i am a thong girl all the way. flip-flop sounds like an adjective or verb(whatever it is) rather than the name of something. i will always call them thongs and i'm always telling my kids to get their thongs on so i'll be passing the tradition down! i wear the stinkin things year round. time to stock up before summer's over to get us thru another year!

Sarah said...

Thanks to my re-formed hippie parents, I too always grew up with the "thong" term. My mom and dad used to wear them when I was little and I never thought they would come back in style. Now I hope they never go out of style.

Mitchellaus Copernicus said...

I like big thongs. Mine are way bigger than most people's. I wear mine every day too. Sometimes I have a freight delivery and I feel like it wouldn't be appropriate to wear my thongs, seeing as how so much of your body is exposed when you wear 'em. But I can't wait to get the delivery over with so I can put my thongs back on. I totally like showing 'em off. I like to sit so that the person behind me can see 'em. I like to look at other people's thongs too. When I wear my thongs, I feel so free, like nothing is holding me back. Great post Nan. Thongs should come up in daily conversation more often.

Tallia said...

I am a "flip-flop" girl, but thongs has never bothered me either. So go for it! Oh, and don't you hate it and the end of summer/beginning of fall when it's time to get out the socks again!

Alicia Leppert said...

Here, here, Nan. It made me so mad when they came back in and suddenly you couldn't call them "thongs" anymore. I hate "flip-flops" although I have to say it's what I refer to them as now, simply because of the other "thong." But it is pretty cute when my kids were younger and called them "plip-plops." I am such a sandal girl all the way. The minute it's not frost-bite weather, the socks and shoes are history.

tharker said...

I loved this post! So funny! Growing up, they were Thongs, but now they are just "flips". I have to say that I think of the yucky underwear when I hear the word thongs too.

So what does this all mean? I guess it means that those of us who think of the icky underoos, all have our minds in the gutter??? J/K!